29 Aralık 2010 Çarşamba

Summer Reading



Well, with the tremendous heat wave we've been experiencing, this has turned out to be my week of summer reading. I stayed in the air conditioned upstairs at our Little Red House, and read three wonderful decorating books, along with some other non-fiction.




My kids gave me At Home with Wedgwood by Tricia Foley. (Actually, I bought it at HomeGoods and told my daughter to wrap it up for Mother's Day. You do that, right?)




It is filled with gorgeous dishes (well, it's Wedgwood, duh!) and settings photographed in the homes of some famous collectors including Carolyne Roehm, Charlotte Moss and Thomas O'Brien. There is also a very interesting history of the company, from the nineteenth century to the present day. The styling and photography are incredible. For a dishaholic like me, this is a must read. :)




I also found Tablescapes, by Kimberly Schlegel Whitman, in HomeGoods. The author is the founder of RSVP Soiree, which is a "special events company."




There are some huge, elaborate catered parties here, but also some really wonderful smaller tablescapes, especially this beautiful jadeite setting (above).




And finally, Laying the Elegant Table, by Ines Heugel. This one is filled with chapters on plates, stemware, flatware, accessories, etc.




There are wonderful photographs and histories for many of the major historic manufacturers whose designs are sought after as antiques today. Just the photos of soup tureens alone had me drooling. And will you look at these English silver-plated fruit knives (above). Aren't they gorgeous? :)




So, that was a little of my summer reading this week. I found all these books at HomeGoods or TJMaxx for a considerable discount off the retail prices. This is not a solicited or paid review. Just think of it as a public service announcement for those of you who love dishes and tablescaping. :)



business christmas card |classic christmas cards |catholic christmas cards |peace christmas cards |custom printed christmas cards |

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder